Friday, July 13, 2012

Today Was a Good Day

This morning I woke up early, kissed the sleeping family and headed in town (Atlanta). On my way I stopped at the fun Little Five Points Starbucks, got a Skinny Vanilla Latte and tried some of their new Refreshers (Caffeinated Juices...interesting concept...I'll take it!). I met a dear friend ans aspiring Gardener at Home Depot. Today would be the day that her gardening desires and dreams would come true. We picked up various items that would allow us to amend her soil ( #GeorgiaClay), build a raised garden, and plant indoor seeds for her fall garden.

It was hard work,.. from 8am-5pm. All physical labor. I was however refreshed to be able to be apart of this project from scratch. She realy wants a garden,.. and I can help. You know, its funny how focusing on others instead of yourself can be rewarding. By the time we broke up the soil, added all of the necessary amendments, worked them in, built a level raised garden on a slope, and saw that it all looked well, I was so amazed and proud of us. I also thought, wow, this 3 year hobby/study of mine has really taught me a lot. I mean I knew exactly how to amend her type of soil without looking at any texts.

The real test was the "Soil Tester." At the beginning of this project, the soil tested (pH) alkaline, with no fertility. At the end I was excited to get my testing cups and fill them with our new amended samples (oooh ...Science!) It felt so good to read the meter: "Ideal pH balance, Ideal fertility."

The ironic thing is. I love gardening. I spend so much time and effort into this hobby. Unfortunately, my property does not get enough sunlight to have the garden of my dreams. THe garden I know I can. create. But somehow, through helping my dear friend in her new and sunny garden space allowed me to feel a shared success and sense of accomplishment.

As I was sharing about my day with my husband. I could tell that he was wishing I had the same sunny set up. He then told me I had a package. I had ordered a beautiful Vera Bradley set for my laptop 3 weeks ago,...storms in the USA had delayed my shipment for 2 weeks..... But youknow what, it came right on time. Today, I too got my garden (of flowers) on my new Vera Bradly bag and slip cover. ...I'll take it!
Thanks for the whispers of love God!
An unexpected surprise...

My Flowery bag,.. I sooooooo love this bag. Its my first Vera Bradley!

Bag and matching laptop slip cover...

From my garden: Apple Mint, Roses, Zinnias, Peppermint blossoms, and Lavender :)

No comments:

Post a Comment